I finally managed to break in one of my new Moleskine sketchbooks. First I drew the plain pencil sketch, then I did a larger version and colored it with some Grumbacher watercolors. I used my pencil to measure the proportions in both.
The sketchbook paper is heavier than that in the regular journals, but it’s definitely not intended for watercolor. The paper has a coating that makes plain or almost-plain water bead at first (it sits just fine if you dissolve enough paint in it—laying down the red was no problem). Then it sinks in all at once, making it very difficult to apply an even wash. I’d read about this but figured I’d give it a try anyway. Now I know.
Next, I drew a toy using my water-soluble Caran d’Ache pencils just as usual, and then I blended them with water. Again, there was the beading problem (look at that lame shadow!), and I wasn’t able to do the thing where you get supersaturated color by drawing on wet paper. The paper just wouldn’t wet right. Whatever. You get the idea.